Here at Churchill Square, we are proud to support a wide range of environmental, social and corporate governance campaigns. Over the years we have won Five Green Apple Awards – these awards recognise the best environmental campaigns from around the world.
Summary of the Green Apple Awards:
- We reduced electricity consumption for the centre by –16%.
- The management team undertook a variety of environmental tasks, helping plant flowers, trim trees, and redesign gardens for a local charity.
- Break The Bag Habit. Replacing store plastic and paper bags with tote bags from the centre for the day.
- Installing 8 EV car charging bays in the carpark.
- Free cooling project – The existing mall ventilators and various entrance doors can now be operated to provide effective natural ventilation to control mall temperatures and limit overheating in warm summer days and therefore avoid using mechanical cooling, which reduces energy consumption. This new control strategy should realise annual savings of 45 tonnes of carbon.
Our pledge to reduce plastic waste
To raise awareness of the impact plastic has on our environment and to make a change, we were the first UK shopping centre to remove plastic bags from our stores for World Environment Day replacing them with our ethically produced tote bags. Running for over three years now, we have handed out over 45,000 bags to our customers and continue to spot them throughout Brighton.
The introduction of our beach cleans, over the last three years have welcomed 460 volunteers have collected a total of 215.15 kgs of rubbish all of which has all been recycled responsibly. We continue to run these on a monthly basis from March – September, if you’re interested in helping, why not join us?
Supporting Local Charities
Each year, from 1st until 24th December we partner with local children’s charity Rockinghorse for our Giving Tree campaign. Suggested gifts are noted on individual tags that can be found hanging on our three trees located throughout the mall. Customers select a tag and purchase the required gift and drop it in to our Customer Services desk. These gifts are donated to the children in hospital over the Christmas period. Our customers have generously donated a total of 1,288 gifts which amounts to £12,660 and continues to grow each year.